Friday 6 April 2012

Foster parenting?what is it like? | How to Become a Foster Parent

Question by keekee: Foster parenting?what is it like?
anyone here been a foster parent? can you tell me how it was for you? ups? downs? i am considering it?.how long do you keep a child for?what if you get attached, will they let you adopt? i dont know much about it, but i wanted to ask someone who has been a foster parent. thanks

Best answer:

Answer by God Is Love
It?s hard! I know that is ?obvious? but it is really indescribably hard and can be heartbreaking.

I didn?t feel very much heartbreak at all but it was hard. I adopted my two daughters from the foster care system a few years ago. When I started the process I got what is called a dual license which is when you foster-to-adopt. This means that you are going into foster parenting with the intent to adopt one of your foster children at some point.

I only had two placements before my daughters. One was an infant and she was only in my home for a week while her mom got a new place and some of her business taken care of. The other was for longer but not long on the grand scale of things, but it did hurt when it didn?t work out for me. Luckily in this case the birth parents got their stuff together and everything worked out best for everyone especially the child. But that doesn?t mean it still didn?t hurt.

However I do know other families who were able to adopt the very first placement they got (mostly because they were VERY selective as to who they excepted). And I know other foster parents who have went through the heartache of having their foster children returned to a broken and yes even harmful home after being with them for a year or more.

I can only tell you personal experience because not only is every individual case different but each state or county even is very different in the way they handle things. What I can tell you is I know it was worth it for me and my girls and I think it would be worth it to you to give foster parenting a try. It is a long process so you owe it to yourself to at least contact you local DHS office and go through the classes. Then you can decide if it is RIGHT for you at this point in your life, or in your future, or not.

What do you think? Answer below!

roland martin suspended lake vostok montgomery county public schools the river dr dog ke$ha earl

No comments:

Post a Comment